The ACCC has put out a statement cautioning people to watch out for scams involving celebrity endorsements. The ACCC has stated that they’ve seen a 400% increase in this type of scam and a staggering 3,800% increase in the losses associated.
If you are caught up in one of these scams, call your bank immediately to try and arrange a chargeback and to stop any further debits to your credit card.
Examples provided by ACCC:
Below is a list of celebrities who have been used in celebrity endorsement scams based on reports to Scamwatch from members of the public.
- Cate Blanchett
- Deborah Knight (Nine News Sydney presenter)
- Delta Goodrem
- Dr David Sinclair (Head of Ageing Lab UNSW)
- Dr Oz
- Emma Thompson
- Georgie Gardner (Today Show)
- Jessica Rowe (Studio 10)
- Kyle Sandilands
- Lisa Wilkinson (Today Show)
- Mark Shuttleworth (BBC/CNN)
- Meghan Markle
- Mikhail Varshavski (Dr Mike – US Celebrity)
- Nicole Kidman
- Sally Field (American actress)
- Sonia Kruger (The Voice, Today Extra)
- Steve Baxter (Shark Tank)
Example of advertisements: